Our Commitment to Sustainability
We’re proud to support and participate in Planet 21 initiatives, Accor’s environmental and social sustainability program. Planet 21’s framework is founded on the engagement of four key stakeholders: our people, our guests, our partners, and our local communities. In addition, Planet 21 addresses two focus areas that are current challenges: Food & Beverage and Buildings.
In partnership with Heavenly Honey and the Senate of Canada, Fairmont Château Laurier is helping to combat Colony Collapse Disorder by placing honeybee hives on another onsite location. Bees are the most effective pollinators on earth, but loss and fragmentation of habitat leaves hundreds of thousands of bees without space to nest and reproduce. The creation of new habitats, or bee hotels, is incredibly important to ensuring the sustainability of the species.
We are committed to joining the UN Global Tourism Plastics Initiative to remove all single-use plastic items from the guest experience by the end of 2022. This is a major step towards reducing environmental impacts and strengthening efforts to combat plastic pollution. It is a significant step forward for the global hospitality industry.
In addition to eliminating all plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds, the new commitment includes:
- The removal of individual plastic toiletry amenities and cups.
- The elimination of all remaining single-use plastic items in guestrooms, meeting areas, restaurants, and all leisure activities areas (spas, fitness centers, etc.).
We believe meetings and conferences can have a positive impact beyond the meeting room. Our creative event planners tailor programs to meet the needs of your busy group, while offering unique opportunities to positively impact the community. Our Eco-Meet program enables groups to:
- Minimize their meeting footprint through green conference options to reduce environmental impact, conserve, recycle, and increase energy efficiency.
- Give back on a more personal level by participating as a group in hands-on volunteer programs.
- Your attendees will bond as a team through shared community outreach excursions such as volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa or at The Ottawa Mission.